- Copyright © Simon Bayliss 2008-21 Simon Bayliss
- Last Updated: 13 January 2021 13 January 2021
- Visitors: 18673 18673
Tibooburra, New South Wales
Cameron Corner Visitors Guide
There is something impossibly romantic about Tibooburra; there it is in the far north-western Corner (Corner Country) of New South Wales.
There is conjecture around the true origin of the name of the town. Pretty consistent among them is that the name means 'heaps of rocks' or 'place of stones' in the language of the local Wangkumara and Maljangapa peoples.
- One interpretation suggests that the name derives for a story about how "two men came from Innamincka and asked people for rainstones. They were refused and mocked and in revenge sent a hail storm that turned everyone, including themselves, to stone."
- Another story tells of three upright rocks, known as the 'Three Brothers' which were said to be three ancestors of the Wangkumara tribe turned to stone for marrying women from another tribe.
- A more modern version is that the town name refers to the ancient granite tors that surround the village, the goldfields of the Tibooburra region was initially known as "The Granites" and formed part of the Albert Goldfields.
The Family Hotel will welcome you with that great outback hospitality that is a welcome change from the rushed and impersonal ways of the ‘big-smoke. Located in Tibooburra, Outback NSW, Australia.
The Corner Country Store is situated in the town centre of Tibooburra, look for the "i" offering visitor and road information. Offering friendly service, selling fuel, tyre repairs, gas refills, ice, real coffee, homemade food and more.
The Granites Motel/Caravan Park was established in 1985 in time for the Tibooburra School Centenary Celebrations. It started with five motel rooms and four second-hand caravans with an amenities block and a few powered sites.
TJ's Roadhouse, Supermarket, Restaurant & Cafe. For all your travel provisions including Supermarket, Cafe, Restaurant, Beer Garden, Post Office and Vehicle Repairs, TJ's Roadhouse, Supermarket, Restaurant & Cafe, has everything you need for your visit to Tibooburra and Corner Country.